½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves (or 3 small cloves) finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely minced peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne (add less for less spiciness)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
¾ cup cashews (1/4 pound)
¾ cup full fat, canned coconut cream
Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped and then grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon salt
¼ cup roughly chopped cashews
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan over moderately low heat until it is melted and slightly bubbling.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, fully coating the onion mixture with the spices.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes, including juice, and bring to a simmer. Then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes uncover and add the full fat, canned coconut milk (the cream skimmed from the top). Stir and cover for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add finely ground cashews. Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Grate the cauliflower in a food processor with the cheese grater attachment.
- Add the grated cauliflower to a pot along with ¼ cup chicken stock, garlic powder and salt. Cover and let steam for 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Uncover and stir. Add the cashews and stir to incorporate.